Missoula Websites: Nature
Missoula is taking a leading role in the nationwide conservation effort, and is the center of many forestry management organizations. This is a directory of web sites concerning nature and the different approaches to managing natural resources.
- Alliance for the Wild Rockies (www.wildrockiesalliance.org)
was formed to meet the challenge of saving the Northern Rockies Bioregion from habitat destruction. It includes thousands of individuals, business owners, and organizations taking a bioregional approach to protect and restore this great region.
- WildWest Institute (www.wildwestinstitute.org)
The Wild West Institute seeks to protect and restore America's wild lands.
- Montana Water Trust (www.montanawatertrust.org)
Missoula Water Trust partners with landowners to keep Montana's streams flowing.
- National Forest Foundation (www.nationalforests.org) - review
A group headquartered in Missoula supporting the National Forest Service administered by the USDA.
- Missoula County Noxious Weed District (www.mslacountyweed.org) - review
Missoula is suffering an invasion of noxious weeds. Learn more about presevation of the Lad at mslacountyweed.org.
- Five Valleys Land Trust (www.fvlt.org) - review
Five Valleys Land Trust is part of a growing national movement where local, community-based land trusts are protecting valuable conservation lands all across the country.
- montana fly fishing (glaciertoyellowstone.com)
Developed by David Archer of Florence, Glacier to Yellowstone provides a comprehensive Montana camping and fishing guide stretching between Montana's two great national treasures.
- Clark Fork Coalition (www.clarkfork.org)
The Clark Fork is the largest river in Montana. However, due to abandoned mines and dams, the Clark Fork is not a healthy River. The Clark Fork Coalition is cleaning things up.
- National Museum of Forest Service History (www.nmfs-history.net)
A web site for the future The National Museum of Forest Service History (NMFSH) to be constructed in Missoula, Mt.
- Big Sky Fishing.Com (www.bigskyfishing.com)
Detailed Montana fly fishing information, covering all major rivers, lakes, mountain waters, glacier and yellowstone national park. Extensive photo gallery. Detailed listings of quality fishing and outdoor gear from numerous merchants.
- Women's Voices for the Earth (www.womensvoices.org)
An advocacy group for nature.
- NOVA Online | Fire Wars | PBS (www.pbs.org)
The PBS Special Nova Fire Wars is an extremely interesting documentary on the issue of fire suppression and forest management. They discuss topics like the Mann Gultch fire and the Clear Creek Fire of 2000.
- Peaks to Prairies (peakstoprairies.org)
Pollution Prevention (P2) Networking and Information Delivery in EPA Region 8 - includes Montana, Wyoming, N&S Dakota, Colorado and Utah.
- Wilderness.net (www.wilderness.net)
Wilderness.net is a product of the University of Montana. The site includes descriptions of wilderness areas throughout the mountain west.
- Nature Conservancy of Montana (nature.org)
Efforts of the Nature Conservancy in the Big Sky state.
- Arthur Carhart National Wilderness Training Center (carhart.wilderness.net)
Learn about wilderness stewardship at the Arthur Carhart National Wilderness Training Center.
- Friends of Lolo Peak (www.lolopk.org)
Friends of Lolo Peak is a citizens' group of local residents and businesses, hikers, hunters, anglers and skiers dedicated to protecting the outstanding natural integrity, scenic values, and traditional uses of the Lolo Peak area for future generations.
- Wildlands CPR (www.wildlandscpr.org)
The Wildlands CPR program is interested in restoring wildlands and curbing damage created by off road vehicles.
- Great Backyard Bird Count: (gbbc.birdsource.org)
Site shows the tally of the annual great backyard bird count.
- Tristate Water Quality Council (www.tristatecouncil.org)
The Tristate Council seeks to protect water quality in the Clarks Fork/Pend Oreille basin.
- Land Trust Alliance (www.landtrustalliance.org)
The Land Trust Alliance promotes voluntary private land conservation to benefit communities and natural systems. We are the national convener, strategist and representative of more than 1,700 land trusts across America. The West Division is located in Mi
- Owl Research Institute (www.owlinstitute.org) - review
The Owl Research Group at the Ninepipes Center for Wildlife Research investigates the owl populations of Montana.
- Wilderness Watch (www.wildernesswatch.org) - review
Founded in 1989, Wilderness Watch is the only national organization whose sole focus is the preservation and proper stewardship of lands and rivers included in the National Wilderness Preservation System (NWPS) and National Wild & Scenic Rivers System (NW
- National Bison Range (www.fws.gov)
A site by the Fish and Wildlife Service about the National Bison Range and bison habitat conservation.
- Montana Wilderness Association (wildmontana.org) - review
Established in 1964, The Montana Wilderness Association is dedicated to the preservation of Montana's public lands and designated wilderness.
Category Hits 11262